Lead Safety Information
Information Regarding Handling of Lead Shot.
General Guidelines for handling Lead:
Your body absorbs lead when you:
- Breathe in lead dust, fume or vapor.
- Swallow any lead, e.g. if you eat, drink, smoke, or bite your nails without washing your hands and face.
Lead in its sold form is not absorbed through the skin. Any lead you absorb will circulate in your blood. Your body gets rid of a small amount of lead each time you go to the toilet, but some will stay in your body, stored mainly in your bones. It can stay there for many years without making you ill.
THE FOLLOWING PRECAUTIONS MUST BE OBSERVED WHEN HANDLING LEAD:
- Do not take internally. In case of ingestion, Call a Doctor.
- Avoid contamination of food, beverages, or smoking materials.
- Wash hands thoroughly after handling and before eating, drinking, or smoking.
Further detailed Lead working guidelines from HSE can be found on the following link: